Saturday 4 June 2016

The jingle of bangles, the fragrance of henna, the elegance of a Saree - I miss it all!

As a little girl, growing up meant being able to wear a mangalsutra around my neck, being able to cook delicacies in my kitchen, being able to love my little one, being able to wear all the jewellery that was ever designed, being able to tinkle my way through the house wearing anklets, being able to smile whilst my bangles jingled at the slightest touch, being able wear those designer sarees and being able to wear as much make up as I wished.
As I grew wiser, these things were slowly forgotten. My love for cooking never diminished and my love for kids grew by leaps and bounds but the rest was soon just a childhood memory. As I sit in a comfy corner of my cosy home thinking of being a young girl again, I realise I miss those silly dreams of beautiful things. I still love seeing bangles at a road side store and smile at the sight of those huge earnings, I have a closet full of sarees and a make up box as big as a bag - but the willingness to use it up all has dissolved in the years and melted away.
I wanted to sway swiftly through murkey lanes smiling at every stranger, I wanted to be invisible and spread joy, I wanted to love unconditionally, I wanted to appreciate every effort and say I love you to every thing beautiful, i wanted to change the world for good and thought i had the superpowers to do it. Alas! I grew up, wiser and older as they say. I wish I hadn't grown mentally and I'd still have done all those things.
I miss
Smiling at tinkling anklets
Being happy at the jingle of my bangles
Feeling gratified for times when air was ripe with the pleasant, dewy petrichor of the post-rain afternoon
Appreciating the dew drops sitting delicately on beautiful rose petals
Laughing carelessly and innocently at every silly joke
Being a little girl I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment